Sunday, May 27, 2007

Happy Birthday To Me


I know it's not "cool" to congratulate yourself on your own birthday. You're supposed to wait until somebody brings it up, smile demurely, blush, thank them, or, if you're a woman over 30, explain that "I HATE my birthday."

Unfortunately, I just can't do it. Never could. I LOVE my birthdays - el oh vee ee them. I start counting down about a month in advance and as it gets closer, drive everyone crazy with the following exchange:

Me: Guess what?
Them: What?
Me: It's ____ days 'til my birthday!

Rinse and repeat the following day.

Why do I love my birthday so? Oh, let me count the reasons.

1. It's a day that's uniquely yours. Unlike Christmas, Hanukkah, or Labor Day, this day is for you and you alone. Even the people who share the same date of birth can't rain on this individual parade. Their birthday is theirs. Yours is yours.

2. Everyone has to be nice to you that day. And if they're not nice, you can tell them so. It is, after all, your birthday.

3. It's an excuse to gather your friends around you, eat and drink too much.

4. The aforementioned friends generally bring presents.

5. There's cake. And cake is good.

6. The alternative to having birthdays is, well, rather bleak.

7. You've gained an extra year of knowledge, memories, joy, sorrow, wisdom. You've lived.

Oh, were you expecting 10 reasons? Or some other, even, logical number? Well, you'll have to live with 7. That's all I feel like writing. And I can quit any time I like. It is my birthday, after all.

1 comment:

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

Man, you have a seriously good attitude. I need to try it on for size. I spend my time feeling morose about my birthday - depressed that everything is sagging:-(

PS Those cupcakes look delicious.....! I am serious, there are no good cupcakes here in Marrakesh