Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Love's Labour


Love is in the air. This morning at work, all the ladies were handed a single rose (how very The Bachelor), and everyone is wearing that detail of obligatory red. I wore a pink poofy scarf made for me by my friend's mother - it's fashionable and timely. Plans of intimate dinners and romantic rendezvous are being discussed loudly.

Which brings me to my dilemma: I am not a natural born romantic. It seems that every woman around me is keyed in to some secret world which should come naturally to me, but forever remains just beyond my grasp.

I'm not trying to suggest that I don't care - I do love my husband very much and try to show him that I care. It's just that I'm the person who wakes up on February 14th asking, "Is it too late to order flowers for today?"

So I undertook getting a romantic education online this week. The first website I visited, informed me that ALL women are born with innate romance. This is a true lie. It also told me that to be romantic, I must enjoy those black and white photos of small children making out where only the flowers or balloons they carry are in color. Personally, I find the whole thing a bit disturbing, and try as I might, couldn't bring myself to buy my honey one of those cards, though the selection was quite vast.

I also perused a site which detailed other people's romantic encounters, from an anniversary celebration where a husband set up his wife's wedding dress on a mannequin in their hotel room (is it me, or is that kind of creepy too?) to couples who gain "romantic points" for doing house chores...

What I learned is that there is no cookie-cutter definition of romance, no matter what the Internet would lead you to believe. One woman's idea of romance is another's secret nightmare - do you want want a pizza delivered to you with a heart made out of pineapple pieces and ham? I don't know, perhaps you do. - but the key is to pay attention to what moves you and your loved one, honeybear, pookiemuffins. Because that is the true meaning behind romance - remembering those little things about them that everyone else forgets.

So as I settle in for an evening of fine dining, LOST, and possibly a game of Jaws Unleashed, you may balk. But I'm in romance city...

2 comments:

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

I was away from my Love Munchkin all day on Valentine's day b/c of business meetings in Casablanca (which required me to leave at 6am and return at 11 pm). He did leave me a Valentine with a picture of an expensive watch (that I have had stolen). But I woke him up, asked him where he bought the watch, and when learning it was on ebay, made hime promise not to pay for it, in case it was a fake....Very romantic, no?

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

So where is your next place that you are planning on visiting then?

PS I have always wanted to visit Russia!