Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Our Anniversary

Some people don't believe in love at first sight, but I'm here to tell you, it does exist. From the first time I set eyes on my true love, I knew I had to convince him to come home with me, somehow...

My husband and I had decided to add a "third" to our relationship as soon as we bought a house. More room, our own space, that kind of thing. We didn't care if it was a guy or girl, just couldn't be too small, as we sometimes like to play rough, and we didn't want to chance any broken bones.

We certainly weren't going to go out and buy love - we agreed that high breeding, pedigree and finishing schools weren't that important to us. What we were looking for was some real street-smarts and a can-do attitude.

We'd been looking around for a while, rejecting potentials - some just didn't show enough interest, others were over-eager, and some just yapped and yapped. Our love would need to know when to be quiet, and to control his or her exuberance.

And then, one winter day, I saw him. He was brawny, with dark brown eyes and a crooked smile. He clearly worked out - it was obvious from his barrel chest. He had a quiet, smouldering intensity usually associated with leading men. While his friends preened and fawned to get the ladies' attention, he sat back, majestically, as if to say "My looks speak for themselves."

And speak they did. I had made my choice.

My husband initially balked. Were we really ready for the responsibility of bringing another member into our tight little family? What if it didn't work out? I suspected jealousy, and did what any other woman in love would do: I threw a tantrum.

Three days later, he was chauffeured over into my loving arms.

Sure my love is a bit hairy. And occasionally he smells well, pungent. And over time, he's gotten quite demanding - gourmet food, chauffeured trips, massages. He may spend his days lounging on the couch, demanding dinner the moment my husband and I get home from work. But we've made our piece with it. He is, after all, king of the house and we are deeply, tragically in love.

So, a few days too late (sorry Foster, though I know you don't care much for dates), I say thank you for choosing us as your pack two years ago. And thanks to New Leash on Life for making you ours.


2 comments:

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

You know, I was trying to keep an open mind about your menage-a-trois over there but the pungent threw me for a loop....

We have a menage-a-vingt over here including: a dog, a cat, several tortoise, 9 peacocks, a flock of guinee fowl, rabbits, and a donkey. We try to stay off the rough stuff...

Anonymous said...

you two- I wish you a fantastic journey! may your meals be startling and your sights be stunning and your "ah-hah!" moments be many and the music be magical and your bothers be memorable and when you get back, may your stories be posterity.-m