Thursday, June 21, 2007

Back To School


End of Summer by pmorgan

I have some terrible news. My summer vacation is over.

For those of you not in the know, I've been on hiatus. Hiatusing is much more fun than simply not having a job. When you're "out of work," the responsibility to find gainful employment rests squarely and heavily upon your shoulders. To look for work and not find it makes you question your self-worth. Don't look for work, and you are a loafer and a freeloader.

The hiatus frees one of such constraints. It allows you to enjoy your time off with the vague promise of work at the other end. The word "hiatus," itself, implies a sort of dignity. A maturity beyond the mere "vacation."

I must say, I've used my time off well. I went to three European countries, redid my patio, saw a few movies, read, put together 75% of a puzzle, taken my dog for some bonus walks, watched lots of bad TV, caught up with friends, cleared out the guest room, and had a birthday party.

But, hiatus being hiatus, and not straight-up unemployment, I always knew that one day the phone call would come, and my services would be needed once more. So back I go, making the world a more entertaining place, giving television audiences everywhere something to watch.

How ironic, that the call came on the first day of summer...

No comments: