Monday, June 18, 2007

A Fond Farewell and Ten Things I Know

Some time ago, while I was trying to come up with a new blog identity for myself, I was challenged to come up with a list of ten things that I think define, or at least describe, me. And a challenge it turned out to be. After weeks of thinking, I still couldn't come up with 3, let alone 10 bullet points of Nat. Do I really know so little about myself? Or do I just have trouble focusing? Perhaps its a bit of both. But really, think about it - it IS very difficult to distill one's sense of self to a list.

As it so often happens, I've put the cart before the horse, and actually come up with a new blog title. No longer is Nat's Dynomite Blog cruising cyberspace (goodbye, my first blogging attempt - I will always remember the times we had together). In with the new, the shiny and bright, the sophisticated reference...

But before I send out the "I Have Moved" cards, a quick look back at why I started here, and an attempt to finally galvanize, dutifully, in list form, why it is I'm going where I'm going.

Nat's Dynomite Blog was born out of boredom, and the attempt to appear busy while having absolutely nothing to do at work. As so many ventures built on such frivolous foundations, the blog was quickly forgotten, left to collect cyber-dust in some cyber-closet. Several years later, I came across a blog written by an American woman living in Marrakesh, and became engrossed with her stories. Perhaps I, too, could send some essence of self out there, through my written words. And so the blog was picked up again, not as a casual diversion but as a mode of expression and a chance to share a bit of myself with the world outside.

With such lofty goals, I needed a loftier label, so my inner search for a new web identity began. And that brings me to my list, which may or may not explain why A Convergence of Words fits me far, far better. Who am I, in 10 lines (or less)?

1. I am a writer.
2. I am also an avid reader. As such, I enjoy references to literary works and authors.
3. I have a dry sense of humor. Many of my friends and family call it sarcasm.
4. I love colors - especially in wild, unpredictable combinations.
5. I am married. I am in a relationship with a person who understands my idea of "self," and often says things that can clarify it for me.
6. I love travel and the richness other cultures. Having been born in a different country than the one I live in, I appreciate the beauty that our differences give to the world.
7. I am a bit of a snob, proudly using overly-convoluted phrases like "having been born in a different country than the one I live in" just because I can.
8. I adore animals.
9. I am contradictory - spontaneous and exacting, laid back and willful. I am a Gemini.
10. I believe that you can tell a lot about people by the friends that they have. Based on my friends, I think I'm doing just fine.

So there it is, in no particular order. The list is in no way complete - which means that it also has some extra fat. But perhaps the best way for us to get to know each other is not through bullet points and phrases, but through the entries around this one. I do hope you'll stick around and read on...

No comments: